The Ashes (Third Test) – Day 4 & 5 – Emirates Old Trafford (4&5/08/13)

DAY One – Australia won the toss and chose to bat first, starting well with a scoring of 76 runs before Shane Watson clipped an outside edge bowled from Tim Bresnan. He walked for 19 after he was caught by Alastair Cook in the slips.

Usman Khawaja followed shortly after following a review by the Australians, which wasn’t overturned and as a result he left the field for one.

Captain Michael Clarke came to the wicket and made five runs alongside partner Chris Rogers who earned 62 respectively before lunch.

After the break, the pair added another 47 to the score, before Graeme Swann bowled Rogers for LBW to make it 129-3. Shortly after, Clarke saw his score for the innings rise to 50 as he celebrated with new partner Steve Smith.

Tea followed, with the pair leaving the field with a score of 51 runs between them. Clarke was on 55, with Smith notching up 20 runs of his own.

Australia’s score was 180-3 at the break as the Clarke/Smith partnership went from strength to strength as they went on to score a century between them, which put the overall score to 229-3.

The Australian Captain then went on to lead by example as he claimed a century, putting them on 251-3. Smith closely followed with an impressive run of form, hitting 50 runs. The score hit 283-3 which put the partnership on a total of 150 runs.

Bresnan bowled the last ball of day 1 at Emirates Old Trafford with Australia on a total of 303-3, the first time they have scored over 300 in this test series as England toiled in the heat.

Day Two – Australia resumed their first innings as James Anderson got the bowling underway. The Aussies picked up from where they left off, with Smith and Clarke soon notching up a partnership of 200 runs.

Just after midday Smith was caught out by Jonathan Bairstow following a cross ball shot bowled by Swann.  He walked for 89 with the total score at 343-4.

David Warner came in at number six for Australia to a mixed reception as Clarke continued to add runs to the tally, reaching 150 (Australia on 352-4).

Soon after, Swann claimed his fourth wicket of the day after Warner was caught by Jonathan Trott. They chose to review, but the original decision of the umpire stood and he walked for five.

Lunch came and Australia went into the break with a score of 392-5 and when play resumed Stuart Broad claimed his 200th test wicket after bowling Clarke out for 187 (427-6). Moments later, Swann got his fifth wicket of the match, bowling Peter Siddle out for one run (430-7). That was Swann’s 17th five wicket haul in test match cricket.

Mitchell Starc came in at number 8 for Australia, who instantly impressed with many boundary shots. The score rose to 459-7 as Brad Haddin notched up 50 runs, Starc also claimed 50 runs, and shortly after the umpire called for tea.

Australia were on 507-7 at the break as the pair came back out onto the pitch and scored another 20 runs between them, before Clarke called the players in and Australia declared. The final score for their first innings was 527-7.


Day Two (continued) – After Australia’s declaration, it was England’s turn to bat with Alastair Cook and Joe Root taking to the crease.

Over an hour into their first innings England lost their first batsman as Root was dismissed for just eight after Haddin caught well to give Siddle his first wicket.

At 47-1 England introduced Tim Bresnan as night watchman at the wicket, only to be called out following another bowl from Siddle. A dubious umpiring decision meant Bresnan was gone for one, after England decided against reviewing the call.

England were now 49-2 as Jonathan Trott replaced Bresnan at the wicket, who managed to add up two runs before the umpires called end of play. England ended the day on 52-2.

Day Three – Cook got the scoring underway on day three at Emirates Old Trafford, with an early four.  Trott was dismissed early in the morning after Michael Clarke caught the ball from a Ryan Harris bowl. He scored five runs, putting England on 64-3.

Kevin Pietersen went to the wicket, as Cook notched up 50 runs, putting England on 71-3.

Following some good play from Pietersen, Cook was brilliantly caught by wicket keeper Haddin off the bowling of Starc, he was gone for 62, putting England on 110-4.

After Lunch, Pietersen carried on his superb form, hitting two sixes, moving his score up to 50 runs as Bell matched his partner to make it 100 runs for the England partnership.

Soon after, Bell was bowled out off a Harris Bowl ending his innings on a score of 60, to put England on 225-5. Pietersen then claimed his century, following a strong innings, which included 10 fours and two sixes.

Following the tea break, Pietersen and Jonathan Bairstow returned to the field with a score of 245-5.

England added another 32 runs before Bairstow was bowled out by Mitchell Starc, after being caught by Shane Watson in the slips. At 277-6 Matthew Prior went took to the field but soon after, Pietersen was bowled for LBW by Starc. The decision was reviewed but the third umpire declared him out.

He departed for 113 with England on 280-7.The umpire soon called an end to play, with England ending their innings for the day on 294-7.

Day Four – Stuart Broad and Matthew Prior started the batting for England and straight away, Broad hit a four to put England on 317-7. This was followed by another three fours which saw England’s score rise to 329, which meant that they avoided the follow on.

But Broad was soon out following a good bowl from Nathan Lyon which was well caught by Haddin. He departed for 32 which left England on 338-8.
Graeme Swann came to the wicket and like Broad, scored a four straight away. This was soon to be short lived though as he was bowled out by Siddle and caught by Haddin for 11 runs.

England were now 353-9 as James Anderson came to the crease, and earned a good three runs to kick start his innings. Unfortunately for England, Prior was out after Warner caught well from Siddle’s bowling to end England’s first innings at 368.


Poor lighting and heavy downpours have left England on the verge of retaining the Ashes going into the final day, as Australia currently lead by 331 runs and likely to declare overnight.

Day Four (continued) – David Warner and Chris Rogers started at the crease, with the latter looking to emulate his previous 84 runs in the first innings.

The Aussie pair started well with Rogers hitting an early four, but the opening partnership was cut short when the 35-year-old was caught by Matt Prior, to give Stuart Broad his first wicket of the second innings. Rogers left the field with 12 runs to his name leaving Australia on 23-1 as Usman Khawaja took to the field.

Both teams left the field not long after for lunch, with only an extra run increasing Australia’s lead (24-1) before the break.

When play resumed, England thought they had an early wicket when Warner was caught by Prior and the umpire agreed, but Australia reviewed it and the decision was overturned.

Khawaja and Warner were going strong an reached a partnership of over 50 runs when the latter was bowled out by Tim Bresnan after Joe Root made a great catch to make it 74-2.

Shane Watson came on third for Australia and made a good impact early on as the 32-year-old all-rounder notched a four in his opening few bats.

But Australia found themselves replacing yet another batsmen soon after, as Khawaja was brilliantly bowled out by Graeme Swann to make it 99-3.

Aussie captain, Michael Clarke took to the crease to inspire his teammates, who looked a different side to the one that declared in the first innings.

But Watson couldn’t hold onto to his partnership with the skipper as he was caught by Kevin Pietersen and so he left the field with 18 runs to his name (Australia 103-4).

Steve Smith came on to take Watson’s place and made a great entrance with the first six of the day, before he was shortly making his way back off the field after James Anderson ran him out to make it 133-5 with a lead of 292 runs.

Tea came with Australia 137-5, but when play resumed after a short spell of rain the Aussie’s continued to bat poorly with Brad Haddin departing for eight. Michael Starc came on in his stead but he could only add an extra 11 runs to make it 172-7 for Australia as Clarke awaited his fifth partner of the day.

When Ryan Harris took to the field to partner his captain, the game was halted due to bad light, paving the way for Mother Nature to end the fourth day of play with severe downpours.

Speaking after the match Australia’s David Warner said: “We have to come out tomorrow and hopefully the rain stays away and we can take the wickets and hopefully we can make it two-one.

He later added:  “At the end of the day we can’t control the weather, we have put ourselves in a great position in this game so far and we have severed it up at the moment for us to come out and take the rest of the wickets and hopefully try and win the game.”

Reacting to the possibility of retaining the Ashes On Monday, England’s Matt Prior said: “We are going to prepare tomorrow morning as if we are going to play a full day’s test cricket.

“We know what is at the end of the line for us.”


ENGLAND celebrated retaining the Ashes Urn on Monday afternoon, albeit through a draw in the third test as rain ended Australia’s hopes of claiming England’s remaining wickets.

Day Five – As Australia declared (172-7) overnight going into the final day of the third test match at Emirates Old Trafford, England had a target of 322 to reach if they were to clinch outright victory.
But the Barmy Army supporters, along with the England team, seemed more than happy to have a day of rain to retain the Ashes Urn.

It wasn’t the best of starts for the Australians in Manchester as persistent early rain delayed England’s second innings, something the Aussie’s wanted to avoid.

But when play commenced after a 30 minute delay, things started to look up for Michael Clarke’s side as an early wicket against Alastair Cook (LBW) saw the 28-year-old depart for a duck.

A great start for Australia, a bad one for England.

Jonathan Trott, who came on to partner Joe Root, replaced his captain at the crease and soon scored his first four of the day to put England on 9-1 as the sun started to seep through the clouds.

But England were nearly two wickets down moments later when Trott, like Cook, was called out for LBW. The home side reviewed the decision and as a result Trott remained on the field as the call was dismissed.

Celebrations for the review were short lived however as Trott was gone for 11 after being caught out by Brad Haddin, to give Ryan Harris his second wicket early on.

At 15-2, the game looked to be taking a turn for the worst for England having lost unplanned early wickets, but as Kevin Pietersen walked onto to the field, a feeling of optimism was in the air at Emirates Old Trafford.

Known for his batting expertise, Pietersen looked like the right man to decrease Australia’s lead, especially when his first shot went for four.

The Pietersen/Root partnership was looking good, even when the latter was nearly caught by Clarke at 22-2.

But when England started to look comfortable going forward, Pietersen was caught out by Haddin for eight as he departed in disbelief after England (27-3) had failed in their second review.

Ian Bell took to the field to try and rescue the calamity that was occurring at the crease as he took the scoring to 35-3 before lunch.

After another delayed interval due to rain, the players returned to the field to make a short cameo appearance as the rain came once more. Bell did claim an extra two runs from the three balls that were played but it didn’t matter as the rain preceded so much so that the fifth day was abandoned.

With the third test ending as a draw, England had retained the Ashes with two test matches left to play at both Emirates Durham ICG and the Kia Oval.

Captain’s Comments:

England captain Alastair Cook said his team were in a ‘happy place’ after retaining the Ashes.

“Obviously our first objective was to retain the Ashes and now we want to go and win them,” said Cook.

“To be 2-0 up with two to play is a pretty good place to be.”

Australia captain Michael Clarke was in a far less joyous mood after the fifth day but said he didn’t ‘want to take any credit away from England.’

“You know when you come to the UK that there is a chance that rain is going to play a part throughout the series,” said Clarke.

“Getting ourselves into the position of being 2-0 down, it was always going to be tough coming back from that.

“But I certainly don’t want to take any credit away from England.”

Quays News Man of the Test Match: Michael Clarke – The Aussie captain gave his country great hope after the first innings having solely racked up a score of 187. Clarke’s runs put Australia in a strong position for the rest of the match after England failed to replicate anything similar in their first innings. Australia will be disappointed they couldn’t put their captain’s total to better use as the rain ended their optimistic hopes of making it 2-1 in the series.


How England retained The Ashes

QUAYS News reviews how England retained the Ashes. 

After three test matches, England came out on top by retaining the urn on the final day at Emirates Old Trafford.

It all started when England were rampant during the first test match at Trent Bridge, Nottingham. James Anderson was on form for England, taking five wickets in both innings against Australia, to help his side win the first test.

Ian Bell went on to score over a century in the second innings (109) as England ended on 590 runs all out.  Australia admirably put up a good fight, but they fell short of 14 runs to come out with 576.

England’s momentum took them from strength to strength in the second test at Lord’s, as Bell matched his runs total from the second innings at Trent Bridge with another 109 in the first innings at Lord’s as England finished on 361 all-out.

Australia were poor in their first innings and were all-out for 128 to leave the hosts in a strong position and of course England took full advantage of their opponents lacklustre start as Joe Root scored a magnificent 180 runs as they finished 349-7 after Alastair Cook confirmed his side’s declaration.

The Aussies could only claw back 235 before they were all bowled out and so this put England 2-0 up in the Ashes series. Root was the overall standout performer in the second test match, with his impressive tally of runs.

England won the test by 347 runs, knowing that a win at Emirates Old Trafford would see them win the Ashes series.

But when the Ashes series moved up North to Manchester, England were unable to close out the series early on with a win, as typical northern rain forced the third test to be abandoned and the match was concluded as a draw on the final day.

Australia did play much better in their first innings, with Captain Clarke scoring 187 runs to lead by example. The Aussies declared 527-7 as England came in to bat, but they could only manage 368 all-out, which gave Australia a 159-run lead.

The second innings was still a rather good innings for Clarke’s side as they again declared (172-7 with a lead of 331) at the end of day four because they were wary of the final day’s weather forecast which may have prevented Australia winning the test match.

This however fell right into England’s hands as they had Mother Nature on side to end play a few hours after Lunch. Despite having a terrible second innings, which saw Cook, Kevin Pietersen and Jonathan Trott leave for 33-3, England’s plan B (the weather) was on hand to end the match as a draw at Emirates Old Trafford.

This therefore meant that England had retained the Ashes after their third test match, with two more test matches to come at Emirates Durham ICG and the Kia Oval, can England now go on to win the Ashes 2013 series.

By Steven Peach at Emirates Old Trafford


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s